#Vamping

Tuesday, July 8, 2014


       I recently just read an article on TeenVogue.com about a newly found terms called "Vamping".  The article talks about how teens these days are still up way past the correct hours of sleep they should be getting everyday. Social media plays into this "staying up late trend" by people tweeting #Vamping all night long. Pulling all-nighters and staying up all day isn't helping your body with the nutrients that it needs.
       I have experienced this first hand. As a incoming junior in college and a fashion design major all-nighters are essential to me. There simply aren't enough hours in the day to get EVERYTHING I want to be done done! It's become accustom to me so much that now I can run on 4 to 5 hours of sleep and be fine. Although I'm not completely fine I can live off no sleep till the weekend when I actually get sleep.
      For me getting up at 8:30 for my 9:30 class, staying up all day with no naps during the day, and staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning has become easy. I also don't drink any coffee throughout the day(I don't practically like coffee) or energy drinks at all. My body has gotten used to staying up all day and never going to bed with the exceptions of an hour nap here and there. I need those extra few hours to get my sewing done, finish my 5 page research papers, and looking up the latest trends in fashion for styling my school's magazine. I pull at least 1 to 3 all-nighters a semester and not just an "all-nighter" that you go to bed at 4 o'clock in the morning but not going to sleep at all!
       Since I never slept well at school coming home for the summer has taken a toll on my body in more than one way. I slept a lot when I first came home but only during the day. When it was time for bed I would be up till at least 3 or 4 in the morning. During the day I would be so cranky and had no ambition to stay awake or do anything. After a week of being home I got sick and couldn't get out of bed. I was still on school time and didn't get much sleep. If I had the right amount of sleep everyday I wouldn't be in this predicament. But instead I stayed up instead of trying to go to bed. It had become a habit never going to sleep at a good time of night.
       You are probably wondering what I do while being up so late. Well lets just say I watched the whole series of That So 70's Show (how exciting that Mila and Ashton are really getting married and having a baby! Go Michael and Jackie!!!), season 1 of Beverly Hills 90210(original series! But only season 1 was on Amazon Prime videos and I didn't feel like buying the rest of the series), and 2 seasons of Gossip Girl (which this the 3rd time watching the series!). I also watched about 7 different movies. Including...The Spectacular Now, Ride Along, The Good Girls, Walk of Shame, Endless Love, American Hustle, and That Awkward Moment.  
      I get in bed at about 10:30/11 and don't go to sleep till 3/4. That's staying in bed for 7 hours! 7 hours I could be sleeping!!! I blame myself and computer scene that I watch the movies and TV shows on. It's straining my eyes and shrinking my brain! I also think I've gotten insomnia from not sleeping because I've gotten so used to not sleeping! Also I do feel my anxiety has gone up since leading me not go to sleep well at night.
      You can find me hashtaging #TeamNoSleep at 3 o'clock in the morning or acknowledging that 3 o'clock and I have met again! But now after a few weeks of torture of not sleeping and my cranky attitude and restless moods, I've finally gotten a couple of good nights rest! Not going to bed after 2 clock and waking up at 9 instead of 11. I'm feeling a lot better now!

Lizzie's Tips On Getting a Better Nights Rest!
~ Yoga! - I've also taken up yoga and going to take a meditation class to help me release stress!

~ Read! - Reading before bed instead of watching a TV show! The book I'm reading right now is The Hunger Games! I've watched the movie more than the fingers on my hands and I'm finally reading the book! I'll write a post on my thoughts about it once I'm done reading it! Reading a book before bed makes me tired so I'll want to go to sleep. There are times when I want to keep reading but I like stopping and thinking about what happens next to put me asleep.
 
~ Bed Spray! - Times when I know I can't fall asleep I spray my lavender bed sheet spray on my sheets. Lavender is such a calming smell for me and it does help me fall sleep faster!

~ Shutting off the laptop at 10:30! - This goes along with reading a book for me. I try to shut off my laptop at 10:30 or 11 o'clock to read till about 12 or 1 depending on how sleepy I am.

~ Drinking water! - Drinking 1 glass water before bed helps prevent heart attacks, yes, but also you need it to keep hydrated. I always feel better in the morning if I drink some water about 30 minutes before I go to sleep. DO NOT drink soda or tea before bed! All the sugar will keep you up!

~ Avoid eating sugary foods! - Avoid eating sugary foods before bed! I tried to fill up while at dinner and have a not at "midnight" snack around 8/8:30. Usually 100 cal popcorn!

Well, that's my story on sleeping or well not sleeping! I loved the article on Teen Vogue (HERE) to help keep awareness about this! I know it doesn't happen to just me! Whenever I go on twitter there's always at least 5 people I know that are also awake! College life = sleepless nights!



Lots of Love,
Lizzie


DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER